Thursday, June 17, 2004

“You see.. people think we have no native tradition, that it’s long dead… But our own native tradition is still alive—just. Don’t look for it in witchcraft or any of the dafter sorts of paganism. You’re more like to find it at May time in a little village church when the old ladies have hung the place with blossoms….
--from Becoming the Enchanter, Lyn Webster Wilde


Today my heart sings, not a loud, crazy song, but a gentle, contented hymn. Firstly I took my driver’s exam and I’ve never been so ill prepared for something and so surprised to learn I passed it. As soonas I got my permit I nearly ran out of the DMV thinking, “Let’s go before they realize they’ve made a mistake and take this thing back.

Dark moons are always like little Lents, times of surrender, shedding, penance and self examination. And after the long meditations and the arduous soul searching comes the relatively laid back morning of the new moon, and the day when everything is new and we take up a new cycle of doing. On days like this I can place my bare toes on the ground and feel them go into the soil like roots, take up the power and life there in. I feel like a plant taking in all the life in the air, in the earth.

4 comments:

Frema said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Frema said...

Since when can you delete your own comment? This is madness!

Anyway, what I said earlier was, Congratulations on receiving your permit!

Chris said...

Due to legal blindness I have an ABC restriction and am on a permit which means for now and a while I can ONLY drive during the day and with a licensed driver in the seat beside me.

Or I can go to jail.

Or I can just crash and kill myself.

Chris said...

P.S. You linked Helen to your blog, but you didn't link me. Ouch, London!