Friday, November 19, 2004

Hope

I'm becoming increasingly sure that one task of a bard is to be a sort of social critic. A prophet, maybe? Both terms are so loaded. One says I am coming with the fire of God, and one has me standing in the corner at the party with a martini a cigarette and a sour look on my face. But what I think I'm supposed to be doing is something much more humble. I just want to give voice to my doubts about common assumptions. I just want to suggest that maybe cherished truths are not absolute truths. I want to look at things a different way and invite other people to do the same. I am not happy about the course this country is running. I am not satisfied with the average lifestyles of American twenty-somethings. Or thirty and forty somethings either. But I am full of hope.

No comments: