Monday, November 08, 2004

The Book and the Ignorance

Today I've thought of a new book. It will be a long time before I can even begin to sit down and write it. I read London's blog today, and about how her week ended: an SUV plowed into her car. And then today I heard about how a plane crashed in the middle of a Detroit neighborhood demolishing one house, but killing nobody. I talked to Dr. Watson, and I was telling me how his father died. I thought" a novel which begins with a plane crash in the middle of town, ends with a broadside minor collision, and the heroine laughing at her wrecked car, and has the death of a father somewhere in the middle. I would call it The Noisy Kingdom... And it would be a comedy.

They say ignorance is bliss. If that were so then America would be the happiest and not just the richest country on earth. Innocence is bliss. Ignorance is the condition we are born to, mistaking lies for truth and shadows for substance. As children it is our birthrite, but it wears out our strength to hold to this as adults. Innocence is a hard won thing, and the journey from the first state to the latter is what Christians call salvation.

No comments: