Monday, August 30, 2004

Dean

And who should come out but Dean? Past the west transept of Sacred Heart is the whole section that leads into the sacristy and the porches, north and south, leading outside. I am on the northern porch, scribbling in my journal and looking at the large tree outside of the church, the one that seems to be the only relevant thing. That’s the tree I come to look at when the Mass is just too much, when it seems to have nothing to do with reality.

Dean has come out of his hidey hole n the sacristy. I didn’t even know he was here. I wave, and he comes over. We begin what is the longest conversation Dean and I have ever had. Yes, Eric is fine. It’s important that he even brings up Eric, or that I ask. “It was his birthday yesterday, we didn’t too much in the way of celebration…” And honest little paragraph that says several things about his relationship to his roommate and my relationship to him. That is, he has let me in on the roommate, the boyfriend.

I have done some thinking about this. It is not that I like Dean a lot, but that I like him at all. That means a lot. As you get older and more aware of the people you sincerely dislike, you realize how important it is just to like someone at all. Dean is honest with me. Let’s think of this: if, for some reason I had to know the most personal hidden aspects of his life, well then, I know them” just like that. I have seen him stand in church, running things and talking impressively, legs spread apart arms folded over his chest, looming. And I have seen him in a gay night club sitting on another man’s lap, having his shoulder stroked. And he had seen me writing in my precious journal. And that’s important to me. If I had one thing to tell people, one thing that defined me to myself as myself, it would be myself as a writer. And there, he has seen me as a writer. Right there. He knows it.

I’ve been lied to my whole life: by friends, by parents, by priests, by the television, by professors. The whole world is busy lying to you, and some how you have got to be wary with out being bitter. Dean is not a liar. Not to me at least. He is beginning graduate school the same time I am, going to school at night, like me, with prospects of almost gainful employment during the day, like me. Unlike me, he is not a storyteller, has never been an actor, and isn’t dramatic about any of this. He’s understated. Dean is always very Indiana, very Midwestern, thin, sort of pale, understated about the things he says. There is ambition and excitement behind him. But, like a good young white man from the heartland, he is appropriately embarrassed about both.

7 comments:

Frema said...

Just stopping by to say hi, and to tell you to check out the awesome picture I posted on my blog yesterday.

P.S. I mailed chapter 3 to you about a week ago. Did you get it yet?

Chris said...

Ooooh,
I hope I don't have to take a can of whoop ass out on you...

Frema said...

It took me a minute to figure out what you meant. Maybe Cotton Boy will be for next week.... :)

Chris said...

Don't do dat Miss Scarlet !

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, are you on the internet a lot? I have been looking
around at blogs related to Dean and I found your site. I like to help people with online
businesses. I have a site that is some what related to your blog and I thought it would help. So
I wanted to leave you a quick message while I was here. Take a look at my site you will be happy
you had did! The site deals with mlm email lead ,optin leads,and Business opportunity Leadsrelated information.
Chris, I also have some great stuff on my site that may be of assistance to you or some one
you know.

To Your Success!

Donald

Here are some sites you may want to look at.
Free Auto
Responder
to follow up with your contacts
wholesale distributor business
Work at home opportunity
Make Money Fast with your computer

Anonymous said...

Hello Chris, after spending so much time looking for north carolina lemon law, I just have to say thanks for the post on Dean. A north carolina lemon law isn't always easy to find the best information on. Anyway, thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Greetings Chris, I have been looking
around at blogs related to Dean and I found your site. I like to help people with online
businesses. I have a site that is some what related to your blog and I thought it would help. So
I wanted to leave you a quick message while I was here. Take a look at my site you will be happy
you had did! The site deals with bulk leads,optin leads,and Business opportunity Leadsrelated information.
Chris, I also have some great stuff on my site that may be of assistance to you or some one
you know.

Thanks!

Don

Here are some sites you may want to look at.
Free Auto
Responder
to follow up with your contacts
wholesale distributor business
Work at home opportunity
Make Money Fast with your computer