Saturday, September 04, 2004

Who Am I Talking To?

On the second day of driver's ed, Zachary began telling a long animated story, and halfway through it realized that everyone else was talking, and no one was listening to him. Everyone was saying something, and none of it was being said to him. Zachary was talking, but no one seemed to be listening. But me. As the oldest I felt I had a responsibility to try to give everyone attention. It was a little like listening to all the radios playing on all the front porches of the neighborhood.

At last, Zachary said, "Who am I talking to?"

I think this is the feeling of every writer. And not all bloggers are writers. Some people journal or complain or-- yes-- even post their dull term paper on the net. Writers have journals, they have complaints. I know I have more term papers than I want to think of. But a writer does not put these up for public view. We are writing for something else. Or someone else. Or both. When a week passes with no comments, or the comments seem to make no sense, or even when feedback is great I have to ask the question: who am I talking to? And why?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

chris~
drivers ed! way to go!
PS you're talking to me...writers are more often than not (not) heard, that's why we write...London

gregory said...

you are talking to a writer

Chris said...

London, where have you been? I thought you were off the net. That's why I haven't been to your blog. I would have called, but these last few weeks have been BUSY. A lot to tell you, will write when possible.

Love,

ME

Chris said...

Ah, Wags, have you been there in hiding all along?

Chris said...

Thanks, Paige! Isn't NEXT BLOG a fun invention?

Frema said...

Shameless, shameless, SHAMELESS plea for comments!

For shame!

And yet, here I am ... commenting. Shame on ME.