Friday, August 20, 2004

I dreamed of many things last night, most of them only pertinent to me and all of them heralding good things. But what may interest you, or scare you, is that you were there. In
my dream. You were walking around my apartment, all over the place, too big to beallowed, just as I remember.

Well, anyway, I had just talked with one of my professors, and as I ran, excited about some news, into the kitchen I stumbled and looked down to see I’d accidentally kicked you in the head. You had been sleeping in the middle of my kitchen floor and now you looked up at me, little brother, blinking and hurt. I didn’t stoop to stroke your head or say that I was sorry. I didn’t ask if you were okay. No, I just looked down at you and said--
though there was concern in my voice (I thought) “You should be more careful where you lie down.”

And I remember how your transparent green eyes looked at me with hurt and shame. And on waking I realize that was how it always was between us...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chris. Sorry I have been lacking in reading and commenting recently. I've not been on nights, and I can't really get on the sites I want to during my day shifts. And tonight I'm really tired, plus I'm ill in a few ways (yey), so I'm not up to much at the moment. I did reply to your last email but I got a delivery failure message back, so can you tell me if you got it? I'll resend if not!

H

Chris said...

I did get it. I haven't read it yet, and I don't know why. I must have clicked messages just to see if there were any new ones. But I don't read them all at once because I want to get time for a decent answer, and there hasn't been time. and now, Helen, you just reminded me of a dream I had where an old best friend popped up. It was odd. Why am I remembering it just now?

Pinklunamoon said...

you refer to a real brother?

Chris said...

Yes... and no.

And yes...