Wednesday, January 07, 2004

I went to the Anglican church in town today. Everything's different but familiar. It was the first mass I'd been to in... my life? Where I wasn't divided in two. Where I didn't have a section of my mind reserved for the hecklers or spend part of the time raising my eyebrow. Usually I only feel reverent in church on the holy days: Good Friday, Holy Thursday. And then a great deal of the time there is so much production with so little real ceremony I feel like I'm at a show I can't completely believe in.

Saint James is the diocesan cathedral, but there aren't very many Anglicans in this part of the state, so it is the size of a normal church. Inside of it, before and altar something precious was going on while outside the world went on with its usual business....

Later that day I had a daydream like a vision. I was in the dark interior of the cathedral, and the darkness seemed to be saying, "Wherever there is love... there am I. In a million different places in this city, in this world love exists. And it is strong.

Was thinking today how many people where gamefaces. How many people construct a world and play by its rules, or live in worlds made by someone else. We are all creators. We just have to be careful if we are imitators. We just have to be careful to create well, and truly.

No comments: