Saturday, March 27, 2004

Two experiences from college. One where we were at a party and someone who was becoming a friend asked me my major. I said “English with a religion minor.” She looked at me, and then said, “I never took you for being very religious.”
Another incident, when I was working in the coffee shop—which was under the dormitory I lived in, and I showed a patron there my room. She saw the crucifix and the Bible and the Virgin Mary and then said, “I never knew you were religious.”
In fact that pretty much summed up college. I do not know that I am religious or not, but I know I don’t trust ostentatious shows. Faith is between you, God, and the congregation of the faithful you are worshipping with. It is all about the reality you are experiencing, and your response to this experience. It is vital and living, and when you have to advertise then it’s dead. I will never be one of those people who grabs you and says, “God bless you!” Or who you hear saying, “Praise Jesus!” Though, to be honest, you might hear me mutter, “Jesus Christ!” or “Goddamn!”
Sometimes those can be prayers.

It is said by Americans and Europeans (I include Australians here) that Americans are far more religious, that we pray more, that we are a more spiritual people. I’m not sure I believe that. In fact, I’m sure I don’t. I’ve experienced the opposite. In the States we are very keen on the appearance of things and we have the appearance of religion down pat, but I think that what exist in European countries and formerly British ones (Canada as well as Australia) is what comes AFTER overt religion. After post-modernism and after post-Christianity, after “God has died” two choices remain to us. We can either equate divinity with the model of the giant old white man in the sky and say we don’t believe in that so there must not be anything. Or we can take our yearnings seriously and begin the honest search and the honest living of the mystery.
Religion comes from the Latin word for ligament, and it means that which connects us. To each other, to the past and present, to this earth. To this universe. I would urge everyone, everywhere to take that very seriously.

p.s. Jenny, thank you for your well wishes. I am feeling better now.

No comments: