Monday, March 08, 2004

I am trying to write something: one idea in my mind that I have deleted over and over again because, as yet, I have not been able to get to it. Usually when I fail in words I resort to poetry. But even that does not work.

I spent some of the morning going through the directions for the yearly reading cycle in the Book of Common Prayer and finally realized we are in Year Two. Soon it will be time for Evening Prayer. Catholic of Protestant the cycle of prayer has been a constant in my life for some years now. I image what I am coming to is this: I am not so foolish to believe that everyone should believe the same thing, but what a shame when, because of a bad experience people choose to believe in nothing. That thing called religion is the ligament that holds us in reverence to each other and the world we are part of it. If we lose that essense of love, we lose all things. If we come into a place where we feel lost, disconnected, then we have indeed lost. We've lost out inheritance, for the world is ours and we are each others.

Now the words come, and I am late for evening prayer.

I guess this will be part of my evening prayer then. Let no soul be lost, let no soul forget love. Love is all we have. And there is so much more I have to say, but only twenty-six letters, one for each year of my life. Maybe on my birthday I will invent a new one, and have new words.

No comments: