Friday, April 01, 2005

Tonight

From what I keep hearing the Pope is dying. No, really dying. Not the suspicion that he was gradually going. Everything is shutting down in him. He can scarcely make the sign of the cross. And all of this as I come to accept my Catholicism again.

Do you know last week I wouldn't even think of praying for the Pope. What harm has he done me? No, really? I don't know him, and he doesn't know me. Even on my most Catholic day I never thought much about the Pope, and I can't think of Popes now. i know there are Catholics, many whom I will see and have known, touched at this moment, sad for this moment, lighting candles, saying rosaries, feeling like their losing their holy father. And for them they are. I don't feel that way at all.

So what do I pray for? I pray for them. I pray for people losing their father. I pray for him. He has done a good work, he has served his vision of God in sincerity of heart. Many have loved him. He says, and I believe, that he has loved them. No matter how I feel about his politics, the mystery of being a bishop is something I cannot unravel. I can only respect it.

1 comment:

Frema said...

It was weird to find out he passed today. Wasn't sure how to react. I'm sure I'm not the only one.