Thursday, April 28, 2005

Change Your Nature

The days of this season have been marked by a certain grace. Lately, I’ve been rising to the occasion in many matters, and the occasions have reciprocated, rising to me.
The book came on Saturday, and my first nature was to keep it to myself, to tell no one. But I am reminded of the line in The Road to Coorain. Perhaps you should change your nature. I changed it to be one who shared the good fortune. People actually do like to hear good news. Some people need to hear good news. I changed my nature to share this good news with my mother and father. I so desired to keep it a secret, to maintain my privacy. I think I have clung so to privacy because for a very long time it was all I had. Mother opened the book enough to see what she thought was the dedication, what was really an acknowledgment. She told everyone how it was dedicated to her. She thanked me and kissed me and I, knowing she will never read this book—at least not carefully—did not tell her that if she flipped over the page, it would say, For Helen.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Bless you, my sweet. I love the fact that I actually have a printed, published book dedicated to me (I saw it on Amazon too!), but now I feel guilty that you Mum thinks it's dedicated to her! I shall endeavor to get on with the chapter you sent me of Dragonfly soon, I promise :)

Chris said...

Don't worry about Dragonfly. I've realized something in looking over The Hidden Lives of Virgins, and it is this: unless it's actually printed, and not on the computer screen, a lot gets missed in editing. So just read the book for the book's sake.

And get a copy of The Hidden Lives... Jamnia. Whatever it is.

Unknown said...

Yes, but I need a signed first edition! That would be the lovliest, bestest thing ever :) Tell me how much I need to pay?

Chris said...

Isn't the price at the sight? I think it's 20.99. But you want ME to sign it. If you get it (cause I don't get it for free, either, though some people think I do, and mail it, and then I mail it back to YOU, I think that will take care of it. But I don't know how much the shipping will cost.

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.