Tuesday, May 25, 2004

This: in short, is my philosophy for writing, though I feel it is the general prophetic philosophy. I did not write it, but I recognized my self while reading it.

Some books are incitements to action, none of them good books, for the principal function of writing is to stimulate thought, to stimulate creative thought in particular. That means producing confusion in the place of certainty, melting concepts so that they may reform and coagulate in new relationships. The way of doing this may be quite violent, for settled certainties resist corrosion, and demand vitriol. They are shrunken and crusty and need roasting or scalding to make them germinate new forms.

You may think, dear reader, that I have overstated my case. The attack upon my own culture is, indeed, extreme, but the weight of custom is heavy as life and it’s hide is thick. The hearts of my readers may be made of more penetrable stuff than I think, and so my challenge overshoots its target and falls harmlessly beyond, or leaves an exit wound that hardens into scar tissue….


--From the Warning preface to Sex and Destiny by Germaine Greer

No comments: