Saturday, May 01, 2004

Beltane iii

I woke from a dream: I was sitting in my house only it had no walls, just the frame, and a man came up to me, opened a back and held a muffin in one hand and a Crossanwich in the other. "You take one, I'll take the other." The odd thing was that I knew him. Two years ago at Holy Thursday Mass he stood next to me.

Out of all the people I have ever met.... Odd.

It has been steadily raining. The street is thick and grey. The sky is a heavy pewter. Last night, Witch's Night, there was white lightening and the pitter patter of rain. The day that had been warm turned gold before eight.

Like every Beltane morning I woke up early to gather flowers for the altar and walk around in the green world before everyone else is awake. I discovered on Notre Dame's campus a copper birch. The first time I saw it I wondered if it could possibly be real ,the bark shone so much, the leaves were so green. I had to take a wand from it. But on that campus you never know what you can touch and what you can't touch, and it's all pretty much ornamental. As I was testing the branches to see which would come off quickest, a police car drove up the quad. Apparently that early in the morning the police cars even drive on the broad sidewalks of a walking campus. It went past me. I was just one of that secret club of early risers who wants to commune with nature.

On the way home the sky was getting greyer and greyer, I prayed, "Don't rain, please don't rain until I get home."

No comments: