Friday, May 21, 2004

posting and comments

For the first time in a REALLY long time... I have posted on Wicked Fairy.

My friend, Frema, surprised me the other day by knowing everything that was going on at Witch's Blood. I was surprised because she didn't leave comments. I was surprised again when another friend told me about my blog because I didn't know she knew it existed. I am reminded again and again that just because the comment box remains blank doesn't mean that no one is reading. But, of course, there really is no other way to know if anyone is actually reading, which is the whole purpose of my writing. Web counters are unreliable and if they do tally actual people, only tally them off as numbers, as "hits". I have scores of clothbound journals which no one ever sees and no one should. If I write in a public forum it is to communicate and there is no communication is no one leaves comments. I don't want to know if the people out there think I'm relevant or wonderful. I just want to know that there are people out there. That's the reason we have comment boxes in the first place.

No comments: