Thursday, January 06, 2005

The First Prophecy

I am either the bad English major, or the bad American citizen. I only buy books when I have to. I only buy things when I really, really want to. I've had this talk with several book lovers. When I talk about checking a book out from the public library, they look at me strangely because I don't buy it. When a new book comes out and I say I can't wait to take it from the library, they think it's odd that I don't rush out to spend thirty dollars on a hardback. Or it's just odd that I am not willing to put down money on a book I don't even know if I'll like. Everything I own I love. None of it is frivolous. They say, "But I have to buy it, or else I just don't feel like I own it." But you don't own it. How can you own another person's words? Americans, how can you own much of anything. Nowadays people even pay money to have stars named after them thinking they can own that to. Everyone wants to buy up this and that so that they can buy up a little security.

My problem is laziness. I am far too lazy to work eight hours a day behind a desk and exhaust myself getting all this money. And I have noted that there is a link between all of this money spend in all of these places, and all of the time spent behind a desk or in an office.

So I have made my choice.

2 comments:

Frema said...

Did you delete an entry?

My birthday and root canal have both passed without a worry. Hooray for me!

Chris said...

FREMA !

You know the whole BLOG THIS thing? Well, I clicked the blog this and that article ended up here instead of where it was supposed to go. So it was deleted, but because it wasn't supposed to be here.

YAY!

Another semester!