Friday, October 29, 2004

On Writing

A lot of thoughts go through my head in a single day. Especially on writing. And then, on days like this they distill into a few lines. All week we've been looking at other author's, older authors, far more established authors in class, and the question is always, "What character are you?" or, "What do you have in common with this character...?"

Well, all of my characters are very different from me, and from each other. I was remembering an old story, written long ago about a character I would never trouble to write now. He had been born rich and and destiend for a lot and was trapped in that role, a slave to social duty. I guess I knew what mattered to me even then, when I first began writing.

My characters, my people, have this one thing in common with me and each other. I do what I want to, I follow my desire and this makes me free. And so I write now about free people.

No comments: