Monday, February 02, 2004

I am listening to a radio show. It shall go nameless. I mean, what if one day I get famous and intellectual, and then I'm on it or something. And the host comes back to this blog and says, "Mr. Gibson, didn't you say...? " And what will I be able to say, but "Yes, I said it."

Well, at any road, I am listening to this radio show and it is dull as all get out today because a professor from a major university has pontificated that "Literature makes us feel and connects us to each other." This is a lot like having a musicologist from Harvard come on a show and state, "Brittany Spears is scantily clad and highly overrated." You hardly need a doctorate to say some things...

So this professor is talking about all the wonderful books that effect people and will stand the test of time. London, Bree, all you English majors of all stripes, you know the books he's talking about, everything we were FORCED to read and would never read unless we had to. So after talking about the indecipherable James Joyce he says of the increasingly cryptic Toni Morrison that her Beloved will stand a century from now when we think of great writing.

I don't know what it is about America now, but we tend to think that the more difficult to understand it is, the better it is. When will we quit fooling around and admit half of this stuff makes no sense now and a century from now will probably make even less.

Less just admit that one hundred years from now everyone will be reading J.K. Rowling and Elmore Leonard. Why? Because you know what the hell they're talking about. They meet you where you are, and they entertain. I don't care what people try to tell you, that's pretty much the total worth of good writing.

No comments: