Friday, September 21, 2007

YOM KIPPUR


If we're going to need anything this Yom Kippur, we're going to need a new sort of religious person. Every sermon is the same these days. Every priest and preacher and rabbi seems to think that the antecdote to their shrinking congregations is to build up Catholicism, build up Jewishness. Now I have even heard of Hindu extremism. All the people of religion fighting each other, different schools of the same religion struggling for their own version to take precedence. How sad when anyone with eyes can see that the new people of God will come from all people. All over the world people of faith are coming together, and we must come together. Enough of this war business. This Yom Kippur I am praying for unity. I am praying for people of true prayer truly concerned with God to come together in the difficult, difficult work of love. I spent the first twenty-odd years of my life looking for the right title, the right name, the right way to describe myself by which picture of God I prayed to. Now, I understand why Jesus said the son of man has no place to lay his head. We have to let these names go for God's sake, and become homeless.

1 comment:

Frema said...

Chris!